Wednesday 24 January 2018

Rear ash tray seals sealed & seat belt plugs

I sealed the rear ash tray seals in the body tonight using the original liners and some fancy product from Sikaflex. Previously the seals were not sealed in the car well from the factory and did leak water everywhere thus leading to some heavy rust and corrosion which was one of the triggers to the restoration.

Once this has set somewhat, I may apply more sealant or evaluate if I need to do anything else to remove the water from being able to enter which is the death of these Type 3's.

You may wonder why the hell I painted the inner fender areas so well in this area and this is also because of the water sealing situation - if I have polished up smooth paint (instead of the VW applied primer back in 1964), I believe I have a better chance this time around of avoiding the rust in the future. Makes sense huh?

Also note I have used Wurth rubber seals for the interior trim (and will be used on the external side trim too) as I believe these are the best seals on the market.







I also found a bag of NOS seat belt plugs in white a long time ago and have started to install these in the car including under the back seat area. The bolt in the center is also the original KNIPPING brand bolt that holds the rear seat in place and I am now almost ready for the interior to be dealt with. 


Next update might be the seat back release cables. I have almost finished the installation of them after remembering how they all connect. Not the most enjoyable job but had to be done.

Isotropic rem polishing